Turnip and Cabbage Soup
This simple soup makes a complete meal.
Yield: Serves 8-10
- 1/4 pound salt pork, chopped
- 3 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 6 leeks, white parts only, sliced
- 1 head cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- 1-1/2 quarts chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fry salt pork in soup kettle until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Sauté turnips and leeks in fat until soft. Add cabbage, stir, and sauté until wilted. Add stock and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. If desired, garnish with reserved salt pork.