Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Before it became the decadent stuff of creamy, cheesy dreams, many a mac and cheese recipe was simple like this one from the Yankee recipe archives (Feb, 2000). Cooked macaroni is layered with shredded cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs (plus a generous splash of milk) for a home-style version of the classic comfort food. Try it for yourself and see how it measures up to your modern mac favorite.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 3-1/2 cups elbow macaroni, about 6 cups cooked
- 4 to 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups coarse bread crumbs, approximately
- 10 to 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste (remember, cheese is quite salty)
- 1 cup milk
InstructionsCook the macaroni according to package directions, drain, and rinse with cold water. Grease (with butter) bottom and sides of a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Put in a layer of macaroni, sprinkle with cheese, dot with butter, salt, and pepper. Repeat until all ingredients are used up, ending with layer of cheese. Add milk. Sprinkle a good layer of bread crumbs over the top; dot with butter.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.