This recipe comes courtesy of the Mountain Fare Inn in Campton, New Hampshire.
Total Time: 45
Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter, plus extra for waffle iron
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 medium-size sweet apple, such as Fuji or Gala, unpeeled, cored, and shredded on a grater
InstructionsPreheat waffle iron. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
In the bowl of a standing mixer or with a handheld mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
In a third bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, and butter. Stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture until combined (some lumps are fine). Gently fold in egg whites until there are few streaks; then fold in apple.
Spoon into a greased waffle iron and cook until nicely browned; serve immediately with maple syrup.