This baked scallops recipe turns out perfectly every time—tender and succulent with a rich, buttery cracker topping.
Our testers called this recipe for baked scallops “easy and elegant — great dinner party fare.”
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 pounds scallops (sea or bay)
- 1 cup crushed Ritz (or similar) crackers
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth
- Garnish: Lemon slice, chopped fresh chives or parsley
InstructionsPreheat the oven to 325º, and set a rack to the second-to-top position.Wash the scallops and pat dry.
Arrange scallops in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. In a small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, garlic salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the scallops evenly with the breadcrumb mixture, then the Parmesan. Pour the butter over all, then sprinkle evenly with the lemon juice and vermouth. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Turn the heat up to "broil" and, with the oven door ajar, brown the top for an additional 2 or 3 minutes (keep a constant eye on the dish to avoid burning). Serve hot, garnished with a slice of lime and fresh chopped chives or parsley.