Butter-Lettuce Salad with Strawberries, Avocado, Walnuts & Chèvre
Sweet-tart berries are the perfect foil for rich avocado and creamy, fresh goat cheese. Add soft curls of butter lettuce, walnuts, and red onion, and you have a gorgeous salad.
Yield: 6 servings
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup white or red balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
InstructionsIn a medium-size bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt, and pepper. Drizzle olive oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until an emulsion forms. Set aside.
For the salad:
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 large head butter lettuce (also called Boston or Bibb lettuce), leaves separated
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) small to medium-size strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces chevre (fresh goat cheese), crumbled
InstructionsIn a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-low heat, toast walnuts, stirring often, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Toss lettuce with enough vinaigrette to coat leaves lightly. Arrange on 6 plates. Gently toss berries, avocado slices, and onion in more vinaigrette and divide among plates. Top with walnuts and chèvre.