Hope Murphy’s Italian Sausage Zucchini Soup
Photo By: Kristin Teig
This classic recipe for Italian Sausage Zucchini Soup makes an easy and delicious meal or side dish.
This recipe for Italian Sausage Zucchini Soup originally came from Hope Murphy’s mother, Carol, who discovered it many decades ago in the food section of the Springfield [Massachusetts] Republican and adapted it over the years.
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Hands-On Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian turkey or pork sausage, half sweet and half spicy
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes, roughly chopped, with juices
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 pounds zucchini, sliced lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch red chile flakes (optional)
- Garnishes: Freshly grated Parmesan cheese and additional fresh herbs
In a large soup pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Squeeze the sausage out of its casing and into the hot oil. Cook, stirring and breaking up the sausage pieces until just brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add the tomatoes with their juices, herbs, and sugar; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Add the zucchini, celery, green pepper, broth, and chile flakes (if using). Simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Serve hot, sprinkled with grated Parmesan and herbs.