Lady Ashburnham’s Relish
This is a recipe my mother passed on to me. It’s tart without being sour and delicious on sandwiches, hot dogs and hamburgers.
Yield: 4 pints
- 6 large cucumbers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup salt
- 4 cups sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon whole celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
1. Chop all the cucumbers the day before you plan on making the relish. Place them in a large bowl and add 1/4 cup of salt. Mix well and cover bowl and leave it overnight.
2. In the morning, pour the bowl of cucumber pieces (with the liquid) into a fair sized pot. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until the onions are transparent and the other vegetables are soft. Approximately 20 minutes.
3. Pour into 4 sterilized pint jars. Seal and place in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the jars from the canner and place on a wire rack to cool.