Italian Vegetable Popover Pizza
The “crust” is on top in this popover pizza recipe.
Yield: Makes 9 servings.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 cups homemade tomato sauce or 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan. In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the zucchini, green pepper, carrots, mushrooms, celery, and broccoli and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft; strain, if needed. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, oregano, basil, marjoram, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and stir well. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Set the pan in the oven to keep warm. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and remaining tablespoon of oil and beat to blend. Add the flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and beat until smooth. Remove the vegetable mixture from the oven and pour the egg mixture over it, covering the ingredients completely. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.