Irish Soda Bread French Toast
O’Rourke’s Diner, 728 Main St., Middletown, CT. 860-346-6101; orourkesmiddletown.com
Total Time: 40
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 loaf Irish soda bread (see above)
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Clotted cream or whipped cream
- Strawberry or raspberry preserves or jam
InstructionsCut soda bread into 1/2-inch slices, discarding ends. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Dip each slice into egg mixture, saturating well.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Working in batches, place slices in the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Add more butter as needed. Serve warm with clotted cream or whipped cream and preserves on the side.