Boston Cream Pie
All New Englanders know that Boston Cream Pie is not a pie at all, but a cake. And this version is so easy to make!
Yield: 8 servings
- Cake Layer:
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
InstructionsPreheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
Cream the shortening with the 1 cup sugar. Add 1 egg and beat until blended. Sift the 1-3/4 cups flour together with the baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in the vanilla. Divide the batter between the cake tins.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to finish cooling.
To assemble, spread the filling between the cooled cake layers and top with your favorite chocolate frosting.
- Cream Filling:
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose white flour
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate frosting