White Fang Chili
This is delicious served with warm cheese quesadillas.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound dried great northern beans (or navy beans)
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 4-ounce cans of chopped green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock (or canned broth)
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Soak beans in cold water overnight. Simmer chicken in a large pot for about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, remove skin and cube. Heat oil in the same pot over medium high heat and saute onions until translucent. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne. Saute for 2 minutes. Drain beans and add to the pot with stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer about 2 hours until beans are tender. Stir occasionally. Add chicken and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped sweet red peppers.