Twice-Cooked Apricot Ribs
- 5 lb (2.2 kg) pork side or back ribs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) apricot nectar or juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each chili powder and ground ginger
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) apricot jam
Pour enough water into shallow roasting pan to come scant 1/2 inch (1 cm) up side. Cut ribs into 2-rib portions; place, meaty side up, in single layer in water. Cover and steam-roast in 325°F (160°C) oven until meat is tender, 75 to 90 minutes. Transfer ribs to large glass baking dish, discarding liquid; let cool.
Meanwhile, in saucepan, combine apricot nectar, soy sauce, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, garlic, chili powder and ginger; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Pour apricot mixture over ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Or freeze in freezer bags for up to 2 weeks; thaw in refrigerator.)
Reserving ribs, pour marinade into small saucepan; add jam and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Place ribs on greased grill over medium-high heat; baste with apricot mixture. Close lid and grill, turning occasionally, until glazed and brown, about 10 minutes.