Not your typical tabouli salad, this is chunkier than most and full of luscious tomatoes. It’s a refreshing dish, best made at the height of tomato season.
Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- Bulgur Mixture:
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup minced scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- dash of pepper
- Tomato Mixture:
- 2 pounds tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup diced and seeded cucumbers
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- cheese and lettuce
- 12 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Romaine lettuce or mixed greens
InstructionsIn a large bowl, combine the ingredients for the bulgur mixture. Cover and chill for at least 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
In a second large bowl, combine the ingredients for the tomato mixture. Cover and chill for at least 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
To serve, spoon some of the dressing from the tomato mixture over the feta cheese. Line a large salad bowl with the romaine or mixed greens. Combine the bulgur mixture with the tomato mixture and spoon on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle the cheese on top.