Sour Cream Cherry Bars
Yield: Makes about 3 dozen bars.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light-brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups dried cherries
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
InstructionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the 1-1/2 cups flour and the oats; add to the creamed mixture. Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch ungreased baking pan. Bake until lightly brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the cherries, sour cream, granulated sugar, egg, 2 tablespoons flour, zest, and vanilla. Stir until well blended. Spread over the hot crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake until filling is set and topping is golden-brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, set pan on rack, and cool completely. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.