This hearty recipe for Shepherd’s Stew is quick and easy to prepare — and very good, too. For a thicker texture, add more meat.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced celery, including leaves
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth or stock (or 2 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 1-1/3 cups water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
- salt to tasteIf you prefer, you may also add additional ground beef or pork for a heartier texture. Cook the meat with the sausage if using.
In a large saucepan or nonreactive Dutch oven, brown the sausage over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the bay leaf before serving. Serve hot.