scarlet and cream cheesecake
- Scarlet-and- Cream Cheesecake
- Source: Better Homes and Gardens
- http://recipes. bhg.com
- Makes 16 servings.
- Prep: 40 min.
- Chill: 6 to 24 hr.
- Bake: 1 hr.
- Cool: 1-3/4 hr.
- Stand: 1-3/4 hr.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For crust, in a small mixing bowl, beat
butter with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds. Add
brown sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat until fluffy. Add the 1-1/4
cups flour and the pecans. Beat just until combined (do not overbeat). Using
floured fingers, press dough onto the bottom and 1-1/2 inches up the side of
a 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is lightly
browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
2. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan, stir together 1 cup
granulated sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in cranberries and the 1 cup
orange juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove half of the sauce (about 1 cup);
cool slightly. Cover and chill remaining sauce until ready to serve.
3. Pour the 1 cup sauce into a food processor or blender. Cover and process
or blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. For filling, in a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, 1 cup
granulated sugar, the sour cream, and the 2 tablespoons flour. Beat on low
to medium speed until combined. Add eggs. Beat just until combined (do not
overbeat). Using a wooden spoon, stir in whipping cream, orange peel, the 1
tablespoon orange juice, and the 1 teaspoon vanilla (filling will be
5. Pour about half of the filling into the crust-lined pan. Drizzle with the
pureed sauce. Carefully pour remaining filling into pan, covering the sauce
as much as possible. Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan. Bake
about 1 hour or until the center appears nearly set when gently shaken.
6. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a thin narrow spatula,
loosen crust from side of pan. Cool cheesecake for 30 minutes. Remove side
of pan. Cool cheesecake for 1 hour more. Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours.
7. Just before serving, spoon some of the chilled sauce on top of cheesecake
Cut cheesecake into wedges. Serve with remaining sauce