Randi Baird's Beet and Watercress Salad with Champagne and Orange Vinaigrette
The first beets from Randi’s garden are the centerpiece of this earthy and satisfying salad.
Yield: Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound beets
- Champagne and Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems removed
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled strong blue cheese (such as Stilton)
InstructionsHeat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse the beets under cold water, then place them in a small baking dish with 1/2 inch of water. Cover and bake until beets are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain water and let beets cool. Peel, then slice into 1/4-inch rounds or wedges.
In a small bowl, combine beets and vinaigrette. Arrange the watercress on a serving platter or six individual plates. Then top with the beets, walnuts, and blue cheese.
Champagne and Orange Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste