- Heat a pan on medium heat, add poppy seeds and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Carefully roast them until they are just a shade darker.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- In same pan, heat oil and add the mustard, fennel, cumin and onion seeds.
- When they turn color, add the chillies and allow them to just blacken (but not burn, as that would impart a bitter taste).
- Stir in the turmeric powder and immediately potatoes and salt.
- Stir thoroughly and add the warm water (you may need to add more, but start with small quantities and add as you go along).
- Cover and reduce to low heat.
InstructionsCook for a further 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Grind the cooled poppy seeds using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.
Stir the ground seeds into the potatoes - it will form a thickish paste which will adhere to the potatoes.
Continue to stir under medium heat if there is too much water, until you reach the desired dry-ish consistency.
Goes well with pooris or chapatis.