Marion Faulkner's Pepper Pot
Marion Faulkner’s Pepper Pot was a Christmas tradition. “It’s nice to have the soup simmering on the stove when the kids are to arrive Christmas Day but you don’t know exactly when. Tripe may be unusual for some, but it is essential to the flavor,” she explained. Here is her original recipe; it also works well with a slow cooker.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 quart veal or chicken stock or water
- 1 veal knuckle and other gelatinous veal bones
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cups chopped green pepper
- 1/2 pound tripe, cut small
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons uncooked rice
- 3 cups fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
InstructionsCombine the stock or water, bones, onion, green pepper, tripe, butter, and rice in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for 20 minutes more. Pick off any meat on the bones and return to the soup. Add salt to taste. Serve
Slow Cooker Method: Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Pick off any meat from the bones and return to the soup.