Easy Chicken and Sausage Cassoulet
Photo By: Jen Perez
With only about 20 minutes of prep work, this Easy Chicken and Sausage Cassoulet recipe cooks for two hours in the oven and emits the most enticing smells from the oven.
Read more about the process of making this cassoulet.
Total Time: 25
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 16-ounce package smoked sausage, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped medium-size
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 19-ounce cans cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs, divided
- Fresh thyme sprigs
InstructionsPreheat oven to 300°. Sprinkle chicken all over with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown meat in 2 tablespoons olive oil, about 5 minutes.
Turn and brown other side, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add sausage to skillet and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil to skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Return chicken and sausage to skillet. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil and sprinkle with 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
Bake, covered, 2 hours. Then uncover and sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake 20 minutes longer, or until cassoulet is golden.
Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with thyme sprigs.