Kale and Bean Soup
This recipe comes from a family collection.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon of olive or canola oil
- 6 to 8 cloves of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups fresh chopped kale (or 2 to 3 packages frozen)
- 3 cups, plus 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans
- 1 large can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: 1 cup chopped parsley
InstructionsIn a large pot, heat olive oil then add garlic and onion. Saute until soft. Add kale and saute until wilted. Add 3 cups broth, 1 can beans, tomatoes, herbs, salt, and pepper. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
In a blender mix the remaining broth and beans until smooth. This will act as a thickener. Add to soup. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve in bowls and garnish with parsley.