Middle Eastern in origin, this is a creamy mixture of pureed garbanzo beans, sesame seed paste, and garlic. –Black Lantern Inn, Montgomery Village, Vermont
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) garbanzo beans
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup liquid from beans
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste, available at supermarkets and health food stores)
- Olive oil
InstructionsDrain the beans and save the juice. In a food processor with metal blade or in a blender, puree the beans with all but last 2 ingredients. Taste for seasoning and refrigerate.
Serve at room temperature on a bed of lettuce with warmed pita bread. Drizzle olive oil on top of the hummus and add a dash of paprika.