Heavenly Apricot Cobbler Bars
From the 1802 House Bed and Breakfast Inn, Kennebunkport, ME
Yield: 24 bars
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup low-fat granola without raisins, crushed (try Kellogg's Low-Fat Granola Without Raisins)
InstructionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter at medium speed with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add sugars, salt, and almond extract, beating well. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Gradually add flour to the butter mixture; beat until moist. Remove one-third of the butter-flour mixture and set aside.
Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch-square baking dish. Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Gently spread preserves over warm crust. Combine reserved butter-flour mixture with granola; sprinkle over preserves. Bake 20 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Cool.