Crunchy Corn Relish
Makes about 3 cups relish
- Kernels from 4 ears fresh corn (2 cups fresh or frozen corn)
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peeled, julienned fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 7 scallions, trimmed and cut into thinly sliced rounds
- 6 fresh basil leaves, cut into very thin strips (chiffonade)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Instructions1. Place the corn, onion, wine, vinegar, ginger, thyme, garlic, peppercorns, coriander, sugar and bay leaves in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir and cook about 10 minutes, until the seasonings are incorporated. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, scallions, and basil in a large bowl and stir to mix.
3. Add the corn mixture to the pepper mixture and stir to mix. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use. Discard the bay leaves before serving.