Crab Meat Quiche
If you have extra filling, pour it into buttered ramekins and bake along with the crab meat quiche. — English Meadows Inn, Kennebunk, Maine
Yield: Serves 6-10
- 1-1/2 cups crabmeat, fresh or canned
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- Pastry for 9-inch pie shell
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cream, or 1 cup each milk and cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Pick over the crabmeat to remove bits of shell and cartilage. Combine crabmeat, celery, onion, parsley, and sherry and refrigerate 1 hour.
Preheat oven to hot (450 degrees F). Line pie plate with pastry and bake 5 minutes. Sprinkle the inside of the partly baked pastry shell with the crabmeat mixture. Combine eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and strain over the mixture in the pie shell. Bake 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to moderate (350 degrees F), and bake about 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the pastry edge comes out clean. Serve immediately.