Coonamesset Lobster Pie
This lobster pie is extremely rich and undeniably delicious. Serve with a dry white wine and tossed salad. –Connamesset Inn, Falmouth, Massachusetts
Yield: Serves 6-8.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces butter
- 6 ounces sherry
- 1-1/2 pounds cooked fresh lobster meat, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 2 ounces brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 tablespoon lobster base (available from gourmet food shops and some seafood markets)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 quart heavy cream sauce (made from 1 quart milk, 1/4 pound butter, and 1/4 pound flour)
- 1 pound crushed potato chips, moistened with drawn butter
Sauté shallots and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add sherry and lobster meat and cook 3 minutes. Add brandy and flame. Stir in remaining ingredients, except potato chips, and bring to boil. Cook 5 minutes. Pour into deep casserole dish, cover with 1/4-inch-thick layer of moistened potato chips, and bake in 350 degrees F oven for 15-20 minutes or until brown and bubbly.