Yield: about 8 pints. Recipe may be halved.
- 30 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped white or yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white or cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons salt
Scald the tomatoes with boiling water to help remove skins. Remove cores and chop. Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy, nonreactive kettle. Stir well and bring the mixture slowly to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thick, stirring often. (This is important, since the mixture tends to stick, especially toward the end of the cooking time.) Make sure that you allow the mixture to cook down until it is quite thick -- about 5 or 6 hours. Fill washed home-canning jars and top with washed lids and rims. Process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes.