California Chicken Burritos
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chunky salsa, drained and juices reserved
- 1 small chipotle chile, minced (from 1 can of chipotles en adobo)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice (see note above)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
InstructionsAdjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke. Add black beans, water, reserved salsa juices, chile, and adobo sauce and cook until liquid has evaporated and beans are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Using potato masher, mash beans lightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Place rice in medium microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, poke holes in plastic, and microwave on high power until hot, about 90 seconds. Stir in salsa, chicken, and 1 1/2 cups cheddar. Spread one-quarter of black bean mixture down center of each tortilla, leaving 2-inch border at ends. Mound rice mixture on beans and fold tortillas to form burritos. Transfer to baking sheet, sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar, and bake until cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve.