Black-eyed Pea Stew with Kielbasa
I made this recipe as an experiment. I brought it to a football party and received many compliments.
Yield: serves 6 to 12
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 16-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 6 to 8 cups chicken or beef stock or bouillon
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 pounds chopped Polish Kielbasa
- 1/2 pound diced smoked ham
- 1 cup chopped onions
In a very large crock pot mix together black-eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, and enough stock or bouillon to complete cover mixture. Cook on high for 2 hours, mixing occasionally and adding more stock as needed. Add in meats, onions, and celery. Add in more stock as needed. Continue cooking for 4 to 6 hours. Serve hot either by itself, or over rice or pasta. It tends to enhance the flavor if you put it in the refrigerator overnight and continue to cook it the next day.