Avocado Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
Tufts of spiky-leaved chicory are a mildly bitter counterpoint to the bland creaminess of sliced avocado.
Yield: Serves 4
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 2 large avocados, peeled, seeded, and cut in half
- 1 head chicory
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Instructions1. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, salt, and cayenne. Stir in the garlic.
2. Cut each avocado half into 6 slices. Lay the slices in the dressing and turn them to coat all sides. Brushing off the excess dressing with a pastry brush, divide the avocado slices among 4 glass plates. Arrange the slices in a fan-shaped design to the right side of each plate.
3. Gather a few leaves of chicory together in a clump and set them on the left side of the plate. Scatter the onion over the avocado slices, then sprinkle on the cilantro. Pour the remaining dressing over all. Chill briefly or serve at once.