Aunt Myla's Green Tomato Pickles
When making her green tomato pickles and relishes, Mary always tries to use the freshest produce she can find — some of which comes from her own backyard garden.
Yield: Makes 12 pints.
- 4 quarts sliced green tomatoes
- 20 onions, sliced thin
- 1 cup table salt
- 4 quarts thinly sliced green cabbage
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 8 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 4 tablespoons celery seed
- 4 green and 4 red peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons turmeric (optional)
Place tomatoes and onions in separate bowls and pour 1/2 cup salt over each bowl. Let stand overnight. In the morning drain the tomatoes, rinse the onions, and combine. Add cabbage. Combine vinegar and sugar and boil for two minutes. Add mustard seed celery seed, green and red peppers, and turmeric if desired. Bring to a boil and pour over tomato mixture. Pour hot into sterilized jars and process in boiling-water bath if desired.