American Potato Salad
American potato salad is a classic when it comes to summertime cookouts.
Total Time: 30
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 pounds small ‘Yukon Gold’ potatoes, peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar, divided
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 celery stalks, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet pickle
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Put potatoes and eggs in a large (5- to 6-quart) saucepan of cold water. Add 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a simmer over high heat. Cook eggs 12 minutes; then remove and place in a bowl of ice water to cool. Continue cooking potatoes until you can poke them easily with a sharp knife, 2—3 minutes more. Drain potatoes in a colander and let cool, then cut into 1-inch chunks and sprinkle with half of vinegar. Peel and chop eggs.
In a small bowl, stir together eggs, remaining vinegar, oil, scallions, celery, pickles, mayonnaise, and parsley. Add pepper and remaining teaspoon salt.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed, then toss with cooled potatoes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.