The first American to mass-produce valentines was Esther Howland of Worcester, Massachusetts.
1. Stay for an Ivy League weekend at the Study at Yale.
2. Collect antiques — antique Valentines, that is.
3. Buy chocolate. Here are some Top Chocolate Shops.
4. Make your own sweets with these seven candy recipes.
5. Find red hearts for everyone in Montpelier, Vermont, this month.
6. If you love someone, ski with them, says Heather Atwell, our adventure blogger in “Winter Sports and Love.”
7. If love is elusive this year, listen to the music of Portsmouth, NH, band,Mercuryhat. “They have the somber sound of a group of guys who’ve been there and lived to talk about it,” says Yankee reviewer Justin Shatwell.