Summer Squash Pickles
I was a resident of Rockingham County, NH for 43 years and moved to Walland, TN in 1990. With a longer growing season, I needed to find a way to use summer squash which is quite prolific. This recipe is fantastic!
Yield: 6 pints
- 10 cups thinly sliced summer squash
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion rings
- 2 cups thinly sliced green pepper
- 1 large jar diced pimento
- 2/3 cup salt
InstructionsSoak squash, onions, green pepper in 2 quarts water for 2 hours. Drain.
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 2 tsp mustard seed
InstructionsCombine syrup ingredients and bring to a boil.
Drop drained vegetables and pimento into the syrup but don't cook. Mix well.
Put mix into hot sterilized jars and cover with syrup. Process in water bath for 15 minutes.