Beet and Pink Turnip Salad
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 6 medium beets
- 3 medium pink or other tender young turnips (or 1 bunch radishes) (if using larger turnips, blanch them first)
- 1 small red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
InstructionsBoil beets 25 to 35 minutes, depending on size, until tender; set aside to cool. Meanwhile, cut turnips or radishes in half and slice into thin half-moon shapes. Slice red onion to an equal thickness. In a medium bowl, combine turnips, red onion, olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper; let the mixture "pickle" at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Peel the cooled beets, then cut in half and slice thinly, keeping all vegetable slices about the same thickness. Add beet slices to the turnip mixture. Toss well, then chill. Garnish with chopped tarragon before serving.