All photos/art by Heath Robbins
New England artisans craft beautiful (and durable) baby and toddler gear.
1. Designer Mary-Alice Dalton applies couture-quality details to her “Victoria Rose” dress ($145 and up) and coordinating “Shaped Brim” hat ($48).
For more on Mary-Alice Dalton, see “Artisan Spotlight,” opposite.
Children’s Couture, Belmont, NH. 603-524-8801; madcouture.com
2. “Natural ABC Blocks” ($98 for a set of 16) and “Push N Pull” animals ($18.20 each) are made from locally harvested maple and are free of dyes and finishes.
Maple Landmark, Middlebury, VT. 800-421-4223; maplelandmark.net
3. Cape Cod mom Sarah Good has received national attention for her bright hooded towels ($46) and other stylish must-haves for the 4-and-under set.
Tess & Tallulah, Cotuit, MA. 508-274-0155; tessandtallulah.com
4. A new mom can never get enough burp cloths–especially when they’re adorned with a cheery lobster motif ($45 per bundle of 3; personalization available).
Maisey Mae Designs, Cape Elizabeth, ME. 207-799-6662; maiseymae.com
5. Keep little ones cozy with a hypoallergenic comforter ($112/$135) made from Maine wool (with organic unbleached cotton muslin shell), hand-tied in a renovated barn workshop.
North Country Comforters, Great Pond, ME. 207-584-2196; northcountrycomforters.com
6. Cuddly friends from the “Foundling Collection” ($9.95 to $29.95) feature organic cotton shells, unbleached cotton filling, and baby-safe embroidered eyes.
PeaceToys, Essex Junction, VT. 800-332-7840; peacetoys.com
7. The “Organic Moses Basket Ensemble” ($180) includes a basket woven from wildly grown palm leaves and an organic cotton futon that fits perfectly inside, plus organic sheets and receiving blankets, mattress pad, and cotton bumper and cover in any of four fabric choices.
Heart of Vermont, Barre, VT. 800-639-4123; heartofvermont.com
8. This hooded T-shirt ($22) and pants ($14) set and lace-trimmed dress ($28) and coordinating pants ($16) aren’t just made from organic cotton–the fabric is recycled organic cotton plus acrylic fleece.
BAOBAB, Waldoboro, ME. 207-790-2025; baobaborganics.com
Editors’ note: “Weekender Tote” (opposite, far left) is by CK Bradley (apresck.com) from a 2010 product line (no longer available).