The bright colors of cranberries make them the perfect choice when decorating for the holidays. Follow our easy instructions on how to make a cranberry wreath, and hang this festive décor on your front door.
Materials to Make a Cranberry Wreath
- 6-8 12-ounce bags of fresh cranberries
- Heavy duty wire for a hanging loop
- 14-inch Styrofoam wreath form
- 4 boxes round toothpicks
- Needle-nose pliers
- 2 yards of all-weather ribbon, any color
Directions to Make a Cranberry Wreath
- Sort and select cranberries for firmness.
- Wrap wire around the top of the wreath form to create a small hanging loop.
- Break several toothpicks in half, sticking the broken ends into the cranberries.
- Using needle-nose pliers, attach the cranberries on the inside edge of the wreath first in even rows. Place the cranberries very close together so that the form does not show through.
- Repeat the procedure on the wreath’s outer edge.
- To create a graduated, mounded effect on the face of the wreath: Attach a row of cranberries on whole toothpicks around the center. Reduce the height of the toothpicks as rows progress toward top and inside edge.
- Continue to attach the cranberries around the face, rather than edge to edge.
- Fashion all-weather ribbon into a bow and wire onto wreath on the center bottom.
- Optional: Across the bottom portion of the wreath, replace the cranberries with soft branches of white pine. Attach the pine with U-shaped hairpins. For easier handling, you may want to hang the wreath to affix the pine.
This cranberry wreath should last for a month in the cold weather, but if you would like it to last longer, or are planning on giving it as a gift, simply spray it with clear lacquer.