When you’ve run out of neighbors on whom to foist your summer squash, think soup. Serve it chilled now or, better yet, freeze and serve piping hot for a welcome dose of green come winter.
Yield: about 6 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 2 to 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pounds green summer squash (3 medium zucchini), chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill (dry works in a pinch)
- few sprigs fresh parsley
- Garnish: Parmesan cheese
InstructionsIn large pan, sauté garlic in butter until tender. Stir in pepper and cook a few minutes longer. Add squash and broth, cover, and simmer until squash is tender. Pour into blender (no more than two-thirds full), add dill and parsley, and puree the mixture in batches. Pour into freezer-safe containers and let cool slightly. Cover containers, label, and freeze.
To serve: Reheat gently, thinning with a little cream or milk if necessary. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.