Zucchini and Tomato Casserole
An aromatic dish that whets the appetite as it cooks.
Yield: Serves 4-6.
- 2 pounds fresh zucchini
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can (35 ounces) Italian tomatoes, or 1 pound fresh, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Gruyère cheese (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, buttered
Wash and thinly slice zucchini. Melt butter in large skillet. Toss zucchini to coat with melted butter and cook over high heat, stirring continuously. Sprinkle with water and continue to cook until tender, yet firm. Remove from pan, and set aside. Pour tomatoes into skillet. Add basil, garlic, and salt and pepper. Cook until slightly thickened. Pour over zucchini and mix. Spoon into a buttered casserole or individual gratin dishes. Sprinkle with mixture of Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses, and top with buttered bread crumbs. Cover with foil and bake at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and brown crumbs briefly under broiler.