No canned soup by the same name can compare.
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1 pound beef shank
- 2 quarts beef stock or water
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 cups tomato or V-8 juice
Combine beef, stock, onions, and thyme in soup kettle. Simmer over low heat, partially covered, 2 hours. Skim occasionally. Remove beef, cool, cut meat from bones, and set aside. Cool broth, then chill and skim. Return broth and meat to kettle. Heat to simmer. Add remaining ingredients, simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, and serve hot.