Ever find yourself with a house full of guests after a holiday? This casserole of turkey, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and almonds is delicious and elegant — and makes good use of leftover cooked turkey or chicken.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2/3 cup slivered or whole almonds
- 1 medium-size onion, minced
InstructionsPreheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium-size saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Blend in the flour. Cook until smooth and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth and milk. Heat to boiling, reduce the heat, and simmer until thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the sherry, salt, and pepper.
In a 2-quart baking dish, spread half the turkey. Top with the mushrooms, water chestnuts, almonds, and onion. Arrange the remaining turkey on top. Cover with the sauce. Sprinkle with the paprika and bake for about 45 minutes or until heated through.