Tomato Tart Provencale
This easy-to-prepare dish adds a festive splash of red and green to your menu and a light touch to the palate.
Yield: 12 to 18 servings
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh Italian parsley
- 6 medium tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine garlic, basil, thyme and parsley. Place half the tomato slices in overlapping layers in a 14-inch round baking dish that has been coated cooking spray. Season tomatoes with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with half the garlic-herb mixture. Top with half of the crumbled cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest at room temperature, covered with aluminum foil, for a few minutes before serving.