The Fish Chowder
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1/2 pound each of haddock, cod, hake, pollack, and cusk, cut into 1-inch cubes; or a total of 2-1/2 pounds of any white fish with the exception of the flat varieties such as sole or dabs which disintegrate too easily
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 3 large boiling potatoes, sliced or diced
- salted water for boiling
- 4 ounces lean salt pork, finely diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1/2 pound small mushrooms, cut in half
- 2 quarts fumet
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into fine julienne
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
InstructionsLay the cubed fish, raw, in the bottom of a soup tureen and sprinkle with the grated carrots.
Boil the potatoes, drain, and add to the tureen.