Sweet and Spicy Gingerbread
Makes two 9 by 5-inch loaves
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups molasses
- 1 cup brewed strong coffee, cooled
Instructions1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly grease and flour two 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pans and set aside.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, mustard, and pepper in a large bowl and stir to mix.
4. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add the molasses to the butter mixture in a slow, steady stream while continuing to beat. Add the coffee, and continue to beat until all the ingredients are well blended.
6. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until all the dry ingredients are moist and blended. Do not overmix.
7. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and place the pans on the center rack of the oven.
8. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until the bread rises and springs back lightly when pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean.
9. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pans. Serve warm or place on a baking rack to cool. (This is great served warm, but it may be more difficult to slice.)