Components of this pasta classic can vary according to the bounty of your garden, as long as the flavors are simple and fresh.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 small summer squash
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 large leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 pound rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cut squashes into neat, fine julienne and set aside. Heat butter and oil; saute garlic over medium heat until opaque. Add mushrooms and saute until just starting to shrink and change color. Add squash and cook just until tender. Stir in basil. Do not overcook. Meanwhile, cook pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta and toss with vegetables and Parmesan cheese in serving bowl. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.