A very good cookie with excellent flavor and texture. Kids love rolling the balls in the sugar and squishing them down on the baking sheet.
Yield: about 5 dozen
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- White sugar or unsweetened coconut
InstructionsIn a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the milk, eggs, and lemon zest or juice and beat until smooth. Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices and add to the creamed mixture, beating well. Chill thoroughly.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two baking sheets.
Form the chilled dough into balls about the size of walnuts. Roll the balls in the sugar or coconut. Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Flatten with a fork.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.