Strawberry Glaze Pie
“This pie will not keep well, I’m sure, but I never had an opportunity to find out, as there has never been any left over from a meal!”
Yield: Serves 8.
- 1-1/2 quarts large fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sugar (or less to taste)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Red food coloring (optional)
- 9-inch pie shell, baked (see following recipe)
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
InstructionsHull and wash the strawberries, and drain well. Cook sugar, water, cornstarch, and 1/2 cup crushed berries until thick and clear. Add butter, and food coloring, if desired, to make a bright red glaze. Fill the cooled pie shell with remaining whole berries, saving 4 or 5 of the largest berries to use as a garnish. Pour cooked sauce over berries in pie shell and refrigerate until ready to serve. (The glaze thickens as it cools.) Garnish pie with whipped cream and large berries.
- 2 cups flour (presifted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water