Stir-Fried Kale with Ham
Strips of kale are stir-fried with ham and green onions. Serve in place of a salad course or with scrambled eggs as a late-night supper.
Yield: Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound baked ham, cut into julienne strips
- 1-1/2 pounds kale, cut into 1/2-inch shreds
- 2 green onions, white and green portions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped unsalted cashews
Instructions1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the ham and stir over high heat for 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ham to a platter or bowl.
2. Add the kale to the hot pan and stir over high heat until wilted. Add the onions and water and continue to stir for 30 seconds. Reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the kale is crisp-tender. Return the ham to the pan. Add the butter and cashews and stir over medium heat until the butter is melted. Transfer immediately to a serving dish.