Stewed Rhubarb with Spiced Whipped Cream
This recipe for stewed rhubarb is so simple! The rhubarb is gently cooked in a sugar syrup, chilled, and then served cold with spiced whipped cream.
Yield: Serves 6
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1-1/2 pounds rhubarb, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Instructions1. In a large saucepan, combine the water and 2 cups of the sugar. Stir to partially dissolve the sugar and place over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
2. Add the rhubarb and continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender and most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in the vanilla and transfer to a bowl. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
3. Whip the cream until stiff. Blend in the remaining teaspoon sugar, the cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Spoon the chilled rhubarb into stemmed goblets and top with the whipped cream.