Spinach Zinger Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, washed, stemmed, and cut into horizontal strips
- 3 medium-size oranges, peeled, cleaned of all membrane, sectioned, seeded, and cut into pieces (approximately 4 pieces per orange slice)
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
InstructionsTo make the salad, in a large bowl, combine the spinach, orange pieces, and peanuts. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- 4 eggs (or egg substitute equivalent to 4 eggs)
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 1 scant cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
InstructionsTo make the dressing, in a medium-size bowl, beat the eggs well. Add the mustard, sugar, and salt; beat again. Slowly add 1 cup of the cream and vinegar. Pour into a medium-size saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the remaining 1 cup cream, whisking to combine well.
Serve the well-chilled salad with the hot dressing in a small pitcher on the side.